Oatmeal is one of my favorite foods. I especially love the Quaker Instant flavored packets of oatmeal. Late last year, B bought a giant box of them from Costco, ate two packets, and they’ve been sitting in our pantry ever since. As much as I love them, I try not to eat them too often. Although delicious, they’re loaded with sugar and I’ve been going through a phase of eating oatmeal every day, so I’ve been trying to keep it a little healthier.
If you frequent Pinterest like I do (sigh), you’ve seen a billion and a half “recipes” for really exciting oatmeal concoctions. Like “Healthy Blueberry Cheesecake Oatmeal” and “Vanilla Cake Batter Oatmeal.” Um, I’m drooling just reading those names, but with a 12-week-old baby, I’ve got about two minutes to make my oatmeal. When I purchase a tub of quick-cooking oats, I hardly imagine extending that cook time to 20 minutes just to make it taste like a delicious slab of cheesecake.
So what do I do? I find whatever I can in my fridge or pantry to toss into my oatmeal and give it a little instant flavor without TONS of sugar. Below are my top choices, plus two I wish I never would have tried.
- Brown sugar and cinnamon. Even just a nice, packed teaspoon of brown sugar in one serving of oatmeal gives it a nice syrupy sweetness. The cinnamon I use VERY sparingly.
- Jam or jelly. I use about half a tablespoon. I have to stir for a minute or so to thoroughly mix it in, but it’s tasty.
- Alpine Spiced Apple Cider mix. NOT a whole packet—usually 1/4 to 1/3 of a packet mixed into one serving of oatmeal. This is probably my favorite of all the mix-ins I’ve tried.
- Hot cocoa mix. Again, not a whole packet—about 1/4 does the trick. The kind I’ve used has been Starbucks cinnamon dolce, but I’m sure any hot cocoa would taste pretty good.
- Honey. It doesn’t take much since honey is so sweet.
Two things I mixed into my oatmeal that were just awful are applesauce and peanut butter (separately, of course). Considering that I am addicted to peanut butter and eat it EVERY day, this is saying a lot. I even tried to salvage it by adding some hot cocoa (because nothing is better than peanut butter except for peanut butter and chocolate together), and it still ended up in the trash.
What about you? Do you mix anything into your oatmeal?