Lately little miss Emily has been all about apple EVERYTHING. Apple sauce, apple juice, apple slices, and even pineapple because it has the word “apple” in it. She eats enough apple I’m pretty sure her skin is slowly turning into an apple peel.
So I found this recipe for Pork with Buttered Apples and thought it seemed pretty perfect. I’ve had a pork tenderloin sitting in my freezer for a few weeks and I wasn’t quite sure what to do with it anyhow.
I did have to substitute a “buttery spread” for the butter for Emily, and that part was fine…no big deal. Where this recipe went terribly wrong for me was the pork.
The recipe says I should “cook the pork, turning occasionally” until browned, and then to cover and simmer on low heat until cooked through–15 to 20 minutes. That is exactly what I did, but after 20 minutes was the pork cooked through?
In fact, it was still raw and dark pink inside, registering a temp of just barely 100 degrees. By then the apples were done and the rice I’d made as a side was done, and I could tell the pork was far from being edible. Meanwhile, my hangry toddler wandered back and forth between the living room and the kitchen, shouting, “Eat? Eat? Eat? Eat?”
Clearly I needed a plan B. I had purchased a turkey kielbasa that I was going to use in a pasta dish, but last night’s dinner needed it even more. I was a little worried that turkey and apples wouldn’t make the best pairing, but it was either give it a shot or have rice and apples for dinner. I sliced the kielbasa and tossed it in the pan with the buttery remnants from the apples while I let the rice cool. Once the kielbasa was browned, I added the apples back in and called it a done deal.
The verdict: Turkey kielbasa and apples actually taste great together, and my husband and toddler both thought it was fantastic. CRISIS AVERTED.
So where did I go wrong with the pork tenderloin? I honestly don’t know. My hunch is that I was supposed to slice it prior to cooking, but the recipe doesn’t give that instruction so I’d hate to make that assumption. All I know is that next time, I’m not cooking it on the stovetop. That sucker took almost an hour to cook all the way through.
At least not all of my kitchen ventures this week have been failures. I made some seriously wicked chocolate chocolate chip muffins for Emily’s baked milk challenge. My modifications:
- I subbed a flax egg for the real egg
- I added four tablespoons of powdered milk to the wet ingredients to make the milk-per-muffin measurement meet Emily’s needs
- I omitted the nuts (choking hazard)
I could LIVE off of these muffins, they are so delicious! I think Emily enjoyed them, too. 😉